Search Me

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Elevator Pitch for Wine

I've been thinking about the "elevator speech," wondering if I should add it to my public speaking class activities.  An "elevator pitch" is a short (one minute or less) promotional presentation selling oneself or a product to another person who is riding the elevator with you (or in a similar, trapped position in which they need to listen to your proposal). 

Tom Kelly from Enoteca Website
At yesterday afternoon's Newport Market wine tasting (you'll notice they don't take their web presence seriously), I was observing elevator pitch's for wine.  A handsome young man named Tom Kelley, the Northwest Ambassador of Small Vineyards, a division of August Wine Group, was pouring four delicious Italian wines.  Shortly after the tasting began, he was giving a short pitch with each pour.  These were memorized and usually contained two or three words about the flavor (rich, jammy, tobacco, etc.), place of origin, and vineyard.  He had pictures of some of the winemakers and a picture of decorative tower with a flock of birds rising upwards.  (Frankly, this particular type of picture annoys me:  the cliche image of architecture with birds in liftoff.)  I picked up a wonderful and very cheap bottle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo from the La Quercia estate.

I enjoyed hearing each pitch and wondered if he'd have the energy to keep it up until six.  I didn't go back to find out.   But I will got back to buy more of the Montepulciano.

No comments: