Search Me

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

LY #99 Community

So two of my younger students approached me after the Visual Rhetoric class to ask if I'd been watching this season of Community.  I hadn't.  So I've been catching up.

I must recommend Episode 502 "Intro to Teaching".  Jeff Winger becomes a law professor!  He takes a job at Greendale Community College so he won't starve.  His first day of class is the worst. first. day. ever.   He jumps into the classroom with no preparation at all.  He asks if there are any questions.  One student says, "Will there be a syllabus?"  Jeff doesn't know what a syllabus is!!


There's also a cranky old time teacher who" laughs when Jeff says teaching is a short-term gig. He thought the same thing... 15 years ago."

There's a happy ending -- Jeff does learn how to teach and Abed does survive his possession by the spirit of Nicholas Cage after taking a class called, "Nicholas Cage:  Good or Bad!"

The kids who protest for "Slightly higher grades!"

The Dean saying to Jeff, "If I fire you you're likely to starve and die.  Do you want me to cut your meatball?"

I disagree with some of the jokes, but still enjoyed the satire.



No comments: