Search Me

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

LY #131 Meeting Ex-Students

They're all over town, my ex-students, though I don't always recognize them. 

Yesterday I had my blood drawn at the Red Cross by a gentlman who recognized me though I didn't recognize him until he reminded me about one of his speeches.  I'd asked him if he'd given a speech about how to draw blood because over the years I've had several phlebotomists or future phlebotomists in my public speaking classes.  He said that no, he'd given a speech on how to make an artificial leg. 

Then I remembered him.  It was the only speech I've had on that topic I've had in almost three decades.  He himself was missing his lower right leg and often wore shorts above the metal foot and calf attached around his knee.   His honesty about his loss as well as his willingness to deal with the squeamishness of others made his speech memorable.  I told him that his energy and humor had helped energize the class itself.  I enjoy students who infect their fellows with positive intensity that helps move the nervous out of speech anxiety.

I also see three other ex-students regularly at my local supermarket.  One of these did not do all that well in my class.  Nevertheless we are friendly.  This may be in part because I make it possible for any student to contest any grade they feel has been applied unfairly.  I have always done my best to manage my teacher-identity and self-present as friendly, reasonable, and open to having my mind changed.  How well I've performed that identity, however, would need to be determined by others.

 Of course the perceived friendliness of former students may be purely because they are friendly to everyone and I'm nobody special to them.  Just somebody that they used to know.

No comments: