Search Me

Monday, December 8, 2008

Monday Wednesday Finish Up

A few final comments about my Monday Wednesday class.

I forgot to mention that Jenna's speech on why we should get rid of the penny was an excellent presentation that made great use of source material. She also did a great job with her powerpoint visuals.

Today was the final and I had one student who chose to get an F in the course by not giving the make-up of his persuasive presentation. I feel sad about that. Of those who did do their make-up speeches, I was most impressed by Melissa's energy in her speech on recycling as a way of fighting global warming. She had great eye contact and dynamic gestures. She also wore a green shirt to go with her green emphasis.

Another student asked if I would mind if he'd take another class I was teaching.

"I know I'm a terrible student," he said.

I really don't like that concept. There is no such thing as a "good student" or a "bad student." There are students who make choices that aid them in getting good grades or in learning and there are students who make choices that don't aid them. I told this student, "You make choices that I wouldn't make."

The only students that I would think of as "bad students" are those who hurt other people intentionally. I don't mind when people choose against their own academic success. I respect those choices.

No comments: