Search Me

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Failure with Resolve

Well, I thought I'd make it through January at least with my resolution to blog daily. Nope. Not only did I skip the MLK weekend while I was traveling, I also skipped all last week and weekend. This is kinda the story of my writing "career." I have very little personal discipline and if I can't see a clear reward at the end of a project (I mean something besides the very amorphous concept of "self expression") then I don't do the work. And it is work. And I'm not a graphomaniac.

I suppose I could say a few words about how Socrates thought writing problematic (see Plato's Phaedrus). Or show my self awareness by noting that almost no one (Hi, Stacey!) reads my rambling. But the truth is, to paraphrase Henry Clay, "I'd rather be president than write."

3 comments:

Stacey Lee Donohue said...

Hi Kake!
I think promising to blog everyday is overrated, as are most resolutions. Blog when you WANT to blog.
Stacey

Old Doc Huck said...

Thanks. As my only reader, your comments are highly valued!

Michelle Barry Franco said...

I'm here, too! And I agree that blogging every single day is overrated - and frankly, really difficult to do. I, too, lack personal discipline. Wish I could somehow convince myself to be otherwise, but, well, that whole personal discipline thing gets in the way. In other words, I feel your struggle, Kake.
I like your blog.