Search Me

Friday, September 20, 2013

Last Year #5: In praise of the surface

After a few thousand years of teaching interpersonal communication I finally learned that "depth" is no more important than "breadth" and "likability."  I have been part of a "crew" that I consider my "peeps."  I don't know their deepest, darkest moments nor do they know mine but there is a way in which that's not important.  Here is a poem I wrote (part of the collection Sentenced to Venice) in praise of the beauty and viability of superficial, "collegial" relationships.



IN PRAISE OF THE SURFACE
for the Winestyles group

Those who know me only here
like this, wine glass or whiskey in
one hand, cicchetti in the other,
may think another self somewhere
abides, heavy hulled and riding deep
in ancient waters, soul of a poet or
philosopher, but I know better that
such depth can run aground, get
stuck, get cracked beyond repair
among these islands, these lives
thrown down together not by
design but fortune, while
craft that glide across experience --
flat bottomed gondolas, curved prow,
enamel shiny, a single oar both power
and direction -- can skim and turn
and slide above life’s muck unhampered
by uncertain measure of the water
waiting black beneath our feet.