Search Me

Monday, September 30, 2013

LY #15: The last first day of classes

Today has been my last first day of classes.  Well, actually tomorrow is my last first day, if we count actually meeting a class face to face.

Returning each fall is exciting and scary.  I spend so much of my summers working by myself that jumping back into the large group setting of a classroom inside a large institution is always a bit of a shock, like leaping into a lake fed by a glacier.  Bracing!

My husband used to say that the first couple of years he was retired he only missed school in the fall. I imagine I'll share that fate.  So we plan to travel in the fall.

Birdy Fall 2012
In the old days, when I spent some of my summers in school, first as a student and then as a teaching assistant, I wasn't as challenged by my return to the classroom because I hadn't been so long away from it.  But whether or not I've spent my summers free or as a wage slave,  I've always looked forward to getting back to the regular school year. 

Not that I haven't been anxious!  It used to  take me time to get over the culture shock of new people and a new "leader" each year. Even so, once I had the situation sussed each year I enjoyed most of my classroom. I enjoyed learning and "being myself" in a way I couldn't at home.  Now that I'm a teacher, it's topsy turvy and I'm more "myself" at home than I am at school! 

Nw Wall St. Fall 2012
I also enjoy the first day because it's associated both with my birthday and the sad exaltation of autumn, my favorite time of year.  The time of the red trees.


No comments: