Search Me

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

LY #77: 1988 "Kake Gets Evaluated"

COCC Bookstore 1991 in Grandview
From the October 22, 1988 Bendnotes 3

______________

      Darla ___, doctorate in psych from Berkeley, ex-radical . . . with . . . a habit of touching you when she's speaking to you, attended my 1 o'clock Fundamentals class on 9/30, and my 12:30 t th Fundamentals class on 10/13.  After the Thursday class, we met down the hill at a coffee shop called the West Side Bakery.  

      When she attended my class, I introduced her and told them who she was, saying, "Now you get to see a real live tense public speaking evaluation."  I am very up front with my students about my position in the Biz -- if asked, I tell them my contract says "probationary".  I had told my T Th class that Darla would be there -- and boy, did they perform well.  On that day I was introducing the Public Speaking in Oregon project (my own idea ....) But the evaluations.  I had them write out on a piece of paper the finish of these two sentences:  "The in class evaluations were most useful when . . ."  "The in-class evaluations were not useful when . . . "*  Oh my, but they responded wonderfully!  they talked about how the evaluations were best when they were honest and included both good and bad, and not just good.  After each comment, I paraphrased.  Ah.  What a lovely class.  Lots of dialogue, lots of concern for the students.  They seemed comfortable with me.

      During our talk, the biggest advice Darla gave me was to sit down when I lectured -- that when I stood I talked too fast.  And that I should also relax, because when I am nervous I look awfully severe.

      When I shared this story with my class, I saw Rob, a large blond fellow smiling wikedly.  "Yes Rob?" I said.  "Nothing," he replied.  "Just a short joke."  "Yes?"  "I thought you were standing up!"

      That's how my students treat me.  They tease me.  

      So.  Darla seems to think I'm Okay.

 ________________________

* By "in-class" evaluations I was talking about the oral feedback I used to have students give each other right after a round of speeches was finished.  I now have all feedback given in written form for three reasons:  1) a new speaker's quite literal inability to actually hear and process feedback given right after a performance 2)  the face-threatening nature of any honest critical practice and my need to keep the speech class a "safe" place 3) student reluctance to criticize other students.


No comments: