Search Me

Friday, April 18, 2008

Implanting Memories about Fritalians

I made my Interpersonal Communication students watch the Dunkin Donuts commercial as part of our discussion of perception. We watched the ad (on youtube) in class and then I asked them to describe two characters and make inferences about them. I also asked them, "which character was wearing a red shirt." After they wrote notes individually, they interacted in groups. As I circulated among them, I kept asking, "Who do you remember wearing the red shirt?" Different people had different memories.

There is no red shirt in the ad.

Yet, they became, with my insistance, sure that they remembered.

This is the best classroom activity I've ever performed concerning the flexibility of memory. It also afforded an excellent example of how perceptions vary. A fun activity.

No comments: