Search Me

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Old Lady

Old Lady from April 10, 2008, Myspace
Current mood: busy

Great moment in class on Tuesday. One of my students asked about the blue streak in my hair. He asked what it meant because he saw "another old lady" downtown who had the same hairstyle.

"Old Lady!" I said. "Mature? Queenly?" I was thinking, "Hey, I'm middle aged" but really, since I don't expect to live to be 100, I am past middle age. Nevertheless, the term "old lady" isn't one we particularly find positive in our culture and it was interesting that he felt comfortable enough with me the third day of class to use an uncomplimentary (albiet honest) term.

Also, considering that I MAY live for 30 years after my retirement (if I can trust my Dad's DNA) or I may die tomorrow (I always try to remember that "No one knows the day or the hour" for either the end of the world or their own demise I could be seen as old or still having a bit of life left in me.

No comments: