Search Me

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

LY #57 The Retirement Meeting and the Tech Wall

Today I visited with Sally Sorenson, our new H.R. director, who went over some of the key issues related to my upcoming retirement.  It was a pleasant meeting because Sally is a very pleasant person.  She was also wearing a very attractive jacket stitched with a pattern of autumn leaves.

The question most important to the school is, "Are you planning to continue working part time."

"No.  Nope,  nyet,  keine Möglichkeit,  pas de temps partiel, ho finito con l'insegnamento!"  Well, I didn't really add all that emphasis.  But you get the idea.

We agreed that instead of bolting right after turning my grades in on June 19, I would take until June 30 to get my stuff moved out of my office.   I asked about getting emeritus status which, according to H. R. 11-3.2 means that I may

Receive bulletins, announcements, and other publications of the College; participate in commencement; be listed in the College catalog; receive free admissions to all regular College events; full use of the College library; full use of Computer Center services; attend the annual professional retreat of the College; use of an office set aside for emeritus; receive occasional and limited secretarial assistance for pre-approved projects related to the College of the individual's discipline; be listed in the Speakers Bureau.

We also chatted about the big issue -  health insurance - and my three decision making choices:  OEBB, PERS, or the Marketplace.  How I look forward to doing that research.  Much as I look forward to my next trip to the dentist.

While visiting the H. R. offices I also chatted about what PERS does with my left over sick leave days.  The person who reports them is Shelley Huckins, a delightful blonde person who is a head honcho in payroll.  Now she has a truly important and necessary job.  She talked about how the recently retired payroll poobah, Lori O.,  is trying to get used to going shopping or to the movies in the afternoon.  Payroll work is what I think of as a "real job" (as opposed to teaching college).  People who have "real jobs" usually don't get more than a week or three of vacation every year.  And as Shelley noted, it was only a couple of years ago that anyone in the college payroll office was able to take more than one week off at a time.  I thought about what a luxury it's been to have summers and winter holidays off for most of the past 25 years.  Time is as good as wealth.

I wound up telling them both about my current tech-wall.  I shared that when I first came to COCC I was shocked by this one senior faculty member who never touched a keyboard and expected the "secretaries" to type up his classroom assignments (he didn't have syllabi so he didn't require those to be typed).   Now I have become that guy.  As you know from last night's screed,  I have hit the tech wall.  The thought of having to text my students or letting them text me just seems so, so.... misguided.  A violation of the fourth wall, if you will.

Not that I hate all things softwareish.  I will indeed be introducing new techniques to my tired old brain but they will be in service of its right side.  I look forward to doing more with movie making, sound editing, and photo manipulating softward -- just no more techademia.   

That part of my brain is full.








No comments: