Search Me

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Techademia again

Today I received this email from someone at Pearson Higher Ed.  They are the folks who sent me the survey that led to a post a couple of days ago.

I don't want to share her name because I don't have her explicit permission to post this.  Nevertheless, I believe that because it is an uninvited email, that I have the right to share it. 

Dear Professor Huck,

My name is ********* and I am a ****** for Pearson’s Communication digital products. We are forming a Communication Data and Reporting Advisory Board and you have been recommended as a participant. The goal of this program is to get instructor feedback on data and reporting needs across Communication courses within a department, institution and/or nationally. We plan to use your feedback to help shape future enhancements to MediaShare, Pearson’s Communication learning application.

If you are interested in joining our Advisory Board, over the next few months you will be asked to participate in a series of virtual focus groups and/or reviews. Each activity will have an honorarium attached and we will do our best to give you as much notice as possible so that you may determine if it will fit in with your schedule.  The first virtual focus groups will be held sometime within the next six weeks.

Your input is tremendously valuable and we rely heavily on professor feedback to inform updates and enhancements to our digital offerings.  Please let me know if you are interested in joining our Communication Data and Reporting Advisory Board by replying to this email.

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

***********************
 This is how I responded:


Wow, Name-of-Original-Email-buddy.

What a counter-intuitive offer!  I answered your recent survey in my role as “cranky geezer” and then blogged about the survey (http://dochuck.blogspot.com/2013/11/ly-56-another-reason-im-retiring.html ), implying that teaching methods haven’t improved much since Aristotle walked through the agora.  Hmmm.  While I’m always happy to make money, I’m not sure that I’m the person you want on your advisory board.

So I’ll let you think about it.  If you really want a cranky geezer on your panel, then I’ll be happy to contribute.  If not, no offense taken.

kh

*******************************
Anyway, that was around mid-day and now that it's after working hours I assume I won't be invited back.

1 comment:

Old Doc Huck said...

I just got this email from the Pearson rep:

Hello Professor Huck,
Thanks for your reply and for the blog link- I enjoyed reading it (and chuckled over my cup of coffee)!

I agree that this Advisory Board might not be the best fit. Thanks getting back to me and have a great remainder of the semester.


Thank you!