Search Me

Monday, April 14, 2014

49 The Acting President . . .

. . . will not be my candidate.  But I'm happy.   I think the Board chose well.  First, Middleton is staying on an extra month.  Then, according to a press release from Ron Paradis, "Second, Dr. Shirley Metcalf, COCC’s Dean of Extended Learning, will assume the position of Interim President on Sept. 15."  The KTVZ website published this story at 5:40 this afternoon.
Shirley (R), Jerry Shulz, Julia King Tamang (LERN)

I don't know Shirley well though I saw her occasionally last year when I taught a couple of times a week at the Redmond campus.   She always had a big smile for me and friendly greeting.  I enjoy her personableness and bright fashion style.  (I wonder if she'll choose to modify the colors once she's Acting-Prez?)

Bruce Abernethy is quoted in the KTVZ "article" as saying, “Dr. Metcalf has proven herself as a quality leader.  Both in terms of her experience prior to coming to COCC, in Hawaii and Washington, and in her roles here, we have seen her provide strong vision, leadership and caring for the comprehensive community college mission. She has experience in nearly all aspects of college leadership and that will be of great benefit as we continue to move forward.”

And I think having her at the helm will get people familiar with thinking of COCC with a woman as captain.   (Sorry the boat metaphor.)  I did a little googling before writing this column (because that's what I did with the original presidential candidates) and found only stories about meetings she's attended and other academic concerns.  Oh, sure, I got excited thinking for a moment that our Shirley had some other passion besides academic administration when I discovered  Shirley Metcalf, the fiber artist --  but it turns out she lives in the East.  (Where she is an Educational Assistant in the Fine Art Department of Northwestern Connecticut Community College, Winsted, Connecticut.)

The one discovery that seemed special was a "thank-you" in a doctoral dissertation completed in June, 2013 by one of COCC's  deans, Jennifer Newby.


No comments: