Search Me

Thursday, April 3, 2014

LY #138 The Web Goddess Goes

Still shot from Vimeo video of Barbara
This morning I deleted the Facebook group "Barbara Klett - Web Goddess".  I started the group in ancient times --  August, 2008.  It was supposed to be "A group of people who appreciate COCC's Barbara Klett and all the help she provides for those who are less adept than she."

I never administrated it very well.  This morning I shut it down.  Monday evening Barbara announced that she will be leaving COCC in May for happier and hopefully better paid climes.  As it is with any friend who follows opportunity out of one's own small sphere, I am happy for her while sad for myself.  Fortunately for my worklife, I'm retiring a month after she leaves.  Sadly for my personal life, I won't be seeing her for the occasional glass of wine at Portello.
 
During my days of online teaching I have relied on Barbara's help and guidance.  I have used at least three different platforms over the years including Web CT and at least two iterations of Blackboard and each "upgrade" has perturbed my conservative and risk-averse old brain.  Her training, online videos, and quick response to desperate weekend emails have helped me avoid or mitigate disaster time and again. 

I will also miss Barbara because she is one of the sweetest spirits I've ever met.  If that sounds icky, perhaps I should say "nicest people" or "kindest individuals."  But I truly meant the first because I believe that her good soul does shine through in her laughter, gentleness, and honesty.  Sadly, I think it may have been this very quality that prevented her from demanding her due in the way of promotions over the years.  It took the school far too long to recognize her worth far too often.  So, tooo tooo train, she's taking off to greener pastures.  In a good way!

This is what Barbara wrote back in 2008 about the creation of the Facebook group, "Barbara Klett - Web Goddess."

"Kake & Stacey generated the idea of this Facebook real estate. As they mentioned it, I told them that I am WAY over due for my 3-year "administrator" evaluation process. Maybe I can use this as a part of the comments portion of my evaulation this year. So, be objective. 

Most of all, I want you to know that I love working with all of you. You help place purpose in my life. PLUS, you give me hundreds of reasons to try out new technologies. Though I will never be caught up, I will always be motivated to try because of you."

No comments: