Search Me

Friday, April 11, 2014

50 The Cultural Insensitivity of Banner

Banner rules us, Banner runs us.   Banner doesn't care about human customs or concerns.  Hence, a stress point in my last quarter.

Banner (as managed by administrative assistants) does the scheduling.  The schedule made one year  rolls over into the next unless someone intervenes.  Combine that with the fact that my Public Speaking Bootcamp meets Friday, Saturday and Sunday and the fact that Easter is a moveable feast and you can guess the result.

I had some drops because we are meeting on Easter weekend.  But I also have some folks who wanted to keep the class but will miss all day Easter Sunday.  I've decided that I will gift the school three hours of my time and go in an extra day on Saturday, April 26, to give those students the Sunday April 20 lectures. 

As for myself,  I'm not all that comfortable working on Easter, not that I haven't done it before at home.  But even though I'm sanginolently cleansed, I'm also a Postmodern spiritual collagist.   So I'll be uncomfortable as I keep my contemporary commitment.

It's been an irritating week.

The schedule flapdoodle was combined with a miscommunication over the room.  I'd asked a Redmond admin back in January if I could have a room change for the class and she lost my email.  Then I reminded her again in February and she said our Admin could take care of it but our admin got the message a bit wrong so basically, I didn't have the room I wanted for the course until this afternoon.  Ack.  But, I got it. 

Add to this my non-school related irritation with St. Charles Health System double billing me (as they did my spouse AND a friend last year) so that I had to fax a copy of my cleared check to the Nebraska offices of their customer billing center and then make a follow up call. 

And add to this the fact of tax season, which reminds me of all the things I'm not happy paying for and also of all the people who don't pay their fair share (could I be talking about Caterpillar?)

But, at least I got my health, thanks to Loratadine and Fluticasone propionate

No comments: