Search Me

Friday, May 30, 2014

11 WDL

Here is a little interview video I did for a speech I gave tonight.  http://www.screencast.com/t/BTsQGqUspNve

Josh Evans gave me the idea of using Voki to create a talking cat.  I knew I wanted to have the interview between myself and the cat.  I thought about doing something really complicated like figureing how to video the back of my head interviewing someone seen on the laptop screen.  But I didn't want to try a lot of new things.  I also thought about doing the interview with a video of the cat's comments and space cut for where I would put my line.  I'd speak on cue and to time from the floor.  But that also seemed too much of a challenge.  As my friend Lilli Ann knows, I'm no actress (I don't have those skills, although I do have more than enough ego (when I'm feeling a big bulge in my low self-esteem). 

Finally, I decided I'd rather do it completely pre-recorded (less stress).

I'm glad that I was the only one who noticed (or commented within my hearing) that I'd left out stuff (I had all kinds of references I wanted to make about the video montage that I just forgot).  Well, one of the public speaking books I used to use had a saying about keeping it short, that no one will hate you for taking less time than expected.

I spoke at the faculty convocation at COCC about what cats can teach us about excellence in instruction.  I worked hard on the speech and was paniking before I gave it (during the opening statement by Prez Middleton defining "convocation" I was sitting in the back and listening to my heart pretend to be a kettledrum.

I'm so glad my colleague Carol Higginbotham was named teacher of the year.  She's so quiet but every-time she says something it's valuable.

For more information about cat videos see:  http://www.walkerart.org/calendar/2014/internet-cat-video-festival-2014

2 comments:

Stacey Lee Donohue said...

Thank YOU, Kake, for a fabulous, witty, speech!

Old Doc Huck said...

I worked hard and it paid off. Which is some small proof to me that if I do exactly what I've been telling my students to do for 30 years, then I will indeed succeed. Basically, that was what I would have wanted in a SP 111 Fundamentals informative speech -- except for the errors I made. But the structure was what I was taught in 8th grade speech. Thank you, Mr. Hooker at Fisher Jr. High.