Search Me

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

17 Every Grade is Negotiable


During my brief sojourn into a Cal State low residency MFA program I had a teacher who drove me nuts because he was a Marxist who did didn't give the economic power of the classroom to his students.  He never gave grades during the 3 week session, never gave us updates on our status.  Just pushed and pushed and made us sweat.  I even got angry with him, yelled, and cried, all during one three hour class period.

I really, really dislike teachers who aren't clear about classroom economies.  Especially if they call themselves left wing.  I have always believed that an important aspect of the classroom is making its economic decision making transparent.  Students should know exactly what behaviors they need to perform to get an A in a class.  Students should also know that professors are human and capable of making mistakes.

I've had more than one student say to me, "That's the first time I've ever heard a professor apologize" and "that's the first time I've ever heard a professor admit to a mistake."  Now, it could be that I'm the only professor who does make mistakes, but somehow I think not. 

Because I'm human and because perception is variable and because I like to empower students to take responsibility for their own part in classroom economies, I have for over most of my years at COCC had the policy in my syllabus that every grade is negotiable.  Students need to negotiate based on the criteria, however, not on their hard lives or on how hard they work.  I do a little spiel on the first day about how hard work may be correlated with success but it's not a direct cause, not by itself. 

At one time I even printed up some cards for students about Classroom Communication.   (This was before I had so many policies in my syllabus.)  One side instructed them about how to ask for a grade change.  I found the old template as I've been cleaning out files.  I printed these up on some of those Avery business card sheets.  Here's what was on the cards, printed in tiny font

Side 1

How to Ask for a Grade Change
  1. Have a clear communication goal based on the written and oral criteria of assessment established in class.
  2. Make an appointment with the prof. 
  3. When meeting, use friendly nonverbals;  smile, nod your head, sit down, have a calm voice, make eye contact.
  4. State your request in a form that shows:  
    1. your understanding of how your work meets the criteria
    2. your feelings at this time (disappointment?)
    3. a mutually satisfactory outcome (the new grade)
Don't whine.  Don't threaten.  Be friendly and firm!

Side 2

Do's and Don'ts
Don't say, "I was gone, did I miss anything?"
Do say, "Sorry I was gone.  I got the notes from my classmate.  When may I pick up the handouts?"
Don't say, "I think that idea is really dumb."
Do say, "That's an interesting idea.  I look at it differently, though."
Don't whisper, pass notes, or send the message that you don't care about the class.
Do sit in front, smile at the prof., make eye contact, and ask questions when you're unclear on the material.


No comments: