Search Me

Friday, May 23, 2014

16 Late Post About Teeth

This should have gone up last night but I was captured by Turner Classic Movies.  (When people ask me about my post-retirement plans I should be saying, "Catching up on old movies at TCM.)

Yesterday I was having a tooth repaired at Timm Family Dentistry and when I was waiting for Doc Andy I chatted with a young female assistant.  She said her name was Nichole and would I mind if she assisted today.  She explained that she was a student in training from COCC.  I said, "That's awesome." 

That made her smile.  She noted that she didn't expect someone to say that it was awesome to have a student practice on them.  I added, "It's not quite as awesome as having a culinary student practice on me."

Then she asked if I minded if her teacher observed.  I asked, "Is it Deb?"  Nichole was surprised I knew Deb Davies.  I told her I'd served on committees with Deb.  Deb is one of COCC's great teacher/leaders.  She's the program coordinator of Dental Assisting.  She is the person behind the low cost dental clinic at COCC.  I have great admiration for her.  When she arrived we talked a bit about massage (she was going to get a Japanese facial massage yesterday afternoon at COCC's LMT program) until Doc Andy entered and packed my mouth with cotton.  Then Deb observed as Nichole used the blue tube to suck water out of my mouth and Andy ground a front tooth so the magic replacement substance could stick to my chipped enamel.

It's fun to see students out putting their COCC educations to work.  Of course my favorite COCC student story is that of the cooks at Ariana.  Great food and a truly fine dining experience built on the talents of two COCC culinary students.  I was so excited in early spring to hear that the whole family business flew out to New York to prepare a meal for 60 for the non-profit James Beard Foundation.  Here's the amazing menu:

  • Hors d'Oeuvre
    • Foie Gras Mousse–Filled Gougères with Huckleberry Jam
    • Smoked Columbia River Sturgeon with Roasted Ramp Crème Fraîche and Gold Potatoes
    • Pork Belly with Radishes, Chiles, and Lime
    • Argyle Vintage Brut 2010
    • Westside 75 > Bendistillery Crater Lake Gin with Clear Creek Distillery Williams Pear Brandy, Lemon Juice, and Argyle Vintage Brut 2010
  • Dinner
    • Celery Bisque with Dungeness Crab and Lemon
    • Bethel Heights Vineyard Chardonnay 2012
    • Venison Carpaccio with Horseradish, Spring Onions, and Parmesan Crackers
    • WillaKenzie Estate Gamay Noir 2011
    • Wild Oregon Salmon with Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Truffle–Caviar Beurre Blanc, and Oregon Truffles
    • Domaine Drouhin Dundee Hills Pinot Noir 2010
    • Slow-Braised Beef Short Ribs with Parmesan Polenta and Spring Garlic Gremolata
    • Doubleback Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
    • Passion Fruit Curd, Lone Pine Coffee Espuma, Raspberries, and Cocoa Nib Meringue
    • Château Ste. Michelle & Dr. Loosen Eroica Riesling Icewine 2006


No comments: