Search Me

Sunday, October 20, 2013

#35 Remember thou . . .

to keep holy the Lord's day."

This is one of the most difficult of the commandments for me to obey.  If I were still a Catholic this would be part of my confession every Saturday night -- that I did work on Sunday.


But then again, when I was a kid, the interpretation I got of the 3rd or 4th commandment (depending) was that as long as one went to church, one was doing the thing.... the thing of keeping that day holy. 
 But really, the focus of this commandment is on resting -- like the Lord did after all of creation got planted.  Resting the creative mind, the soul, the thing that makes something come out of nothing.

Of all the commandments, this may be the most difficult one for me to obey.  It's never been terribly difficult to avoid killing people.  And the whole coveting thing was pretty much modified once I started getting a steady paycheck.  But not working on the sabbath.  That's tough. It's also tough to keep one's servants and livestock from working on that day.  The dog is gonna bark at passers by whether it's Sunday or Monday.


So is retirement a way of avoiding the opportunity for sin?

No comments: