Search Me

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

LY #17: Student Art and Public Speaking

So last night I experienced a first.

The artwork in question next to a cowbell.
A smiling young student confessed to the entire public speaking class that the reason she had chosen  my section of the many available to her was "only" because I'd purchased a piece of her art at the student ceramics sale in the spring.  She bubbled, "I was able to eat lunch that day because of you!" Her smiles and laughter brought a lot of positive energy into the room.  I didn't want to tell her that I couldn't see any logical connection between the feeling of appreciation toward a buyer and the decision to spend 10 weeks in a class taught by that purchaser.  Having money to spend on art doesn't insure that one is a good teacher OR a good person, for that matter. 


Another student's art.
Well, I've never purchased student art so that students would like me.  And certainly not because I wanted art students in my speech classes.  (They occasionally are so focused on their art that they don't put a lot of effort into the coursework.)   I buy student art for two very different reasons.  First, because I really like the piece I purchase.  Second, because I'm an unsuccessful artist myself and know how exhilarating it is to have someone like what one does so much that they shell out some simoleons to provide proof of their positive regard.

So, not to put to fine a point on it, I buy student art for the same reason I do most things:  for pleasure and karmic correction.

And yet another piece of student art.

No comments: