Search Me

Friday, October 4, 2013

LY#19: Public Speaking Bootcamp and Positive Student Feedback

Tonight was my last fall orientation for Public Speaking Bootcamp.  In the bootcamp I teach my entire 3 credit speech class in two weekends and an orientation evening.  I was wondering last week when I'd started teaching this course but didn't get around to reviewing my H.R. files. 

I DID, however, find the print out of an old email from back in 1999 in my files.  It was sent in January.  I no longer teach the weekend courses in the winter quarter because heavy snows can make the college inaccessible, as I learned one year when I had to cancel and get an entire class to commit to a different weekend later in the quarter.

The email, sent by a student named Susayn (a name I can no longer put a face to) wrote about some of the issues she was facing with group work as someone living in Prineville.  She ends with this paragraph:

"One more thing before I go . . . I felt great leaving the weekend workshop.  there seemed to be a real connection of people over a short period of time.  Sometimes in a class there is no connection.  Sometimes it seems like you don't even know everyone's name.  I think the way you set up the introductions had a positive impact on the mood of the class. . . I want to say thanks, and I wish all instructors would take the time to do this."

It's always nice to get positive feedback from a student, even if one must always take any kindness from someone over whom one has economic power (the power of the grade) with a grain of salt.

1 comment:

Max Benjamin Rule said...

Great posts, dude. Thanks!

Just got an email from a former student that (partially) said this:

"On another note, there were a few professors I've always wanted to let know that they are very good at what they do but it seems like a hollow gesture while still taking a class." He then went on to tell me some very nice things (that I paid his well to say. :) )

I guess I just wonder - how many are like him? Or Susayn?

Talk soon, dude!