Search Me

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

LY #37: Politics in the Classroom

http://flyingdogales.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/nonessential.jpg
from Flying Dog Brewery


I'm a firm believer in not sharing my political or religious beliefs in the classroom, at least not my specific politics.  But sometimes my disgust with certain aspects of our current "governmental" situation just pop out.  Like tonight I was giving examples of the cause and effect design of the informative speech and my brain popped up with "the government shutdown" as a topic.

Now, when I say, "My brain popped up with" I mean that I was improvising.  I have a standard spiel that I give about each topic in the public speaking course and that spiel hasn't changed much in 25 years (well, to be honest, it probably hasn't changed much in 2500 years).  (What can one do with "introduction, body and conclusion" that's new?)  But I like to keep the specifics open so that I can play a bit in interaction with the students.

Well, tonight I was saying the usual thing about being able to move from a single cause to a variety of effects, like the shut down leading to decrease in park revenue and other impacts, or a single effect having a variety of causes, like the shutdown being caused by "bad budgeting, bad spending, bad politics, and bad government, bad, bad government!" 

My artistic student laughed and said, "You said that like you were telling a dog to get off the couch."
If only it were that simple to fix the corruption, lack of ethical communication and the software designs dating from the 90s -- the 1890s.  The Health Exchange Site is a great example of Steampunk in action.
steampunk desktop and kerosene lamp
Steampunk computer from The Steampunk Workshop

 

No comments: